[OmniOS-discuss] Only grub after boot

Josh Barton Josh.Barton at usurf.usu.edu
Tue Jun 7 17:53:16 UTC 2016

I accidentally detached my topic from the mailing list last week so here I am trying again with more details this time. I have installed OmniOS on a Supermicro system running with 3 LSI 9300 8i controlllers(see hardware list below) but while installation proceeds normally, boot fails at grub, all I see is the word grub with a flashing cursor and I am unable to interact at all. I did notice a warning about i/o requests not being aligned with the 4096 byte disk but after installation I checked the ashift with the live cd and it was 12 as it should be. I have checked to ensure that I am running via AHCI in the BIOS. I even tried re-running installgrub -m /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c1t5000C50d0...s0. Any ideas? Thanks!

Item Number

Item Type

# of Units

CSE-216BAC-R920LPB

Chassis

1.00

LSI 9300-8i

Disk Controller

3.00

 X10DRi-T4+

Motherboard

1.00

Micron/Crucial CT16G4RFD4213

16 GB Ram

12.00

Samsung M393A4K40BB0-CPB

32 GB Ram

8.00

Seagate ST2000NX0243

2TB Drive

12.00

Intel Xeon E5-2637 v3 Quad-core (4 Core) 3.50 GHz Processor

CPU

2.00

I have it set up to boot off the first hard disk of the 12 installed
The first 2 are going to mirrored in ZFS for the os, the remaining 10 will be used to host a postgres database of about 700GB

Josh Barton
USU Research Foundation