[OmniOS-discuss] Only grub after boot

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Jun 8 01:09:58 UTC 2016

disk

I believe you said you only saw that warning when manually running
grubinstall from the cli after dropping to the shell from the install cd?

> should be. I have checked to ensure that I am running via AHCI in the
BIOS.

As I understand you are trying to boot via the SAS controller, so the SATA
settings in the BIOS aren't relevant, unless you tried to connect one of the
disks directly to an onboard SATA connector as I suggested earlier.

I was working with Josh off list, I gave him a number of suggestions, I'm
not sure which ones he has tried; perhaps it would be helpful if he reviewed
what he has done? One of the suggestions was to try reinstalling grub, from
what I understand that is when he saw the sector alignment warnings and it
still did not boot successfully.

I also suggested disabling the controller bios on the two controllers that
he is not booting from, or connecting the boot disk directly to an onboard
SATA port to see what happens. Beyond that, I suggested he try installing a
Linux distribution to make sure it would boot just to rule out completely
faulty hardware.

Any other thoughts? Perhaps temporarily pulling out two of the controllers?
Installing to a different disk on a different controller?