[OmniOS-discuss] Error attempting to switch to OpenSSH on r151014 or r151018

Rick Sayre whorfin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 23:01:04 UTC 2016

Greetings

Since r151018 is more recent let's consider this a report for that
version, though I encountered it first on r151014

Upon issuing the recommended command to switch:
https://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/ReleaseNotes/r151018
     /usr/bin/pkg install --no-backup-be --reject pkg:/network/ssh
--reject pkg:/network/ssh/ssh-key --reject pkg:/service/network/ssh
--reject pkg:/service/network/ssh-common pkg:/network/openssh
pkg:/network/openssh-server

I got the error:
     The Boot Environment OmniOS-r151018 failed to be updated. A
snapshot was taken before the failed attempt and is mounted here
/tmp/tmpSE7Agh. Use 'beadm unmount OmniOS-r151018-2' and then 'beadm
activate OmniOS-r151018-2' if you wish to boot to this BE.

     pkg: Requested operation failed for package
pkg://omnios/network/openssh-server@7.2.2,5.11-0.151018:20160412T154009Z:
     User cannot be installed without user database files present.

...and then beadm is left in the slightly weird state

Google wasn't much help here.
Ultimately, after some sleuthing, I determined the problem to be
somewhere deep within a call to the "user" module of pkg, from
the package requirement:
     user ftpuser=false gcos-field="OpenSSH privsep user" group=sshd
home-dir=/var/empty login-shell=/bin/false password=NP uid=92 username=sshd

This in turn was attempting to add an entry to
/etc/ftpd/ftpusers

Because of the move away from ftpd [i've switched to proftpd] w/
OmniOS, I was left with no /etc/ftpd directory.  Apparently this is
met with great hostility by user.py...

Manually creating an empty ftpusers in /etc/ftpd allowed the install
to succeed.

"leaving this here" so that others may find and benefit, and perhaps
the pkg rule will be cleaned up for OmniOS, now that ftpd isn't
there...

Cheers
         --Rick