[OmniOS-discuss] Error attempting to switch to OpenSSH on r151014 or r151018

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Jun 13 14:29:41 UTC 2016

> On Jun 12, 2016, at 7:01 PM, Rick Sayre <whorfin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "leaving this here" so that others may find and benefit, and perhaps
> the pkg rule will be cleaned up for OmniOS, now that ftpd isn't
> there...

It's currently a documented interface in pkg(5).  And I quote from the man page:

   User Actions
       The user action defines a UNIX user as defined in /etc/passwd,
       /etc/shadow, /etc/group, and /etc/ftpd/ftpusers files. Entries are
       added to the appropriate files for users defined with this user action.

       The user action is intended to define a user for a daemon or other
       software to use. Do not use the user action to define administrative or
       interactive accounts.

And weirder still, in spite of removing any default FTP server, the /etc/ftpd directory is part of the basic packages:

	bloody(~)[0]% pkg search /etc/ftpd
	INDEX      ACTION VALUE    PACKAGE
	path       dir    etc/ftpd pkg:/SUNWcs at 0.5.11-0.151019
	bloody(~)[0]%

I'm not sure what action uninstalled /etc/ftpd on your system, but that action is broken.  If it's a package in the "omnios" publisher, it's a bug for me to fix.  I doubt that's the case, however:

bloody(~)[0]% find ws/omnios-build/build -type f | xargs grep -l ftpd | grep -v build.log
bloody(~)[1]%

I'm sorry about your pain.  The /etc/ftpd directory is a system-specified one, and it shouldn't be erased.