[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS as home serwer (NAT, private projects)

Guo-Rong Koh guorong.koh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 03:04:17 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-06-12 at 11:35 +0200, Krzysztof Grzempa wrote:
> Cheers guys,
>
> I'm planning to build my own server at home for multiple purposes (my
> projects, home NAS etc). I'm planning to use zones to separate WAN
> access server (www hosting, git and svn repos, email maybe..) and SAN
> functionalities for LAN only access.
> Now, i'm huge fan of Illumos. I used to work with Solaris 8 to 11,
> and i really enjoy it. I wish to use ZFS as the best storage
> solution, but what concern me most is availability of technologies
> that i'm going to use. For WAN purposes I need apache2, php5,
> mariadb, python (at least 2.7),git, svn, and maybe fish shell ;) .
> For my NAS, I need samba, nfs, ftp, DLNA [mediatomb, serviio]
> (sharing video to TV directly).
> AFAIK and read on the net, probably every of those technologies are
> doable on OmniOS, but the problem is time spent on installing,
> solving problems etc.
> Of course, there is always the linux solution, but i would like not
> go there as Illumos has may better storage (ZFS on linux sucks IHMO)
> Has anyone got expierience in setting up such stack on OmniOS? (or
> any other Illumos distro?) Problems? Advices?

I run most of my WAN stack (apache, php, etc) from the Joyent pkgsrc
repository, which is very straightforward to get running and keep
updated on OmniOS.
For DLNA I used to run mediatomb from a self-compiled instance, but
have since swapped over to NFS shares, relying on a more capable media
player (OpenElec).
I also run a Linux KVM instance for the stuff that is "just too
difficult" (eg. crashplan, grafana3, etc).
regards,
Guo-Rong