[OmniOS-discuss] Fwd: OmniOS as home serwer (NAT, private projects)

Guo-Rong Koh guorong.koh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:29:07 UTC 2016

Krzysztof,
On Mon, 2016-06-13 at 21:23 +0200, Krzysztof Grzempa wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Thanks for all your shares. So, it seems that it is possible, without
> spending days and days setting it up. Thats great.
>
> @Guo-Rong Koh
> >I run most of my WAN stack (apache, php, etc) from the Joyent pkgsrc
> repository, which is very straightforward to get running and >keep
> updated on OmniOS
>
> No native OmniOS apache2,php packages available? Does it work well,
> and there is no conflicts on system updates? What about apache2
> modules availability and php libraries. My project that im planning
> to run uses PEAR repo, is it possibile to install?
> The same questions goes for Python, django. is there pip3 available ?

OmniOS is an excellent minimal install, but the core holds very few
additional applications/libraries.
That stuff is supplemented by other repositories.
OmniTI host a pkg repository that has apache2 and php here:
https://pkg.omniti.com/omniti-ms/en/catalog.shtml
(I have used this in the past).
But I don't see django there, I do however see it here:
http://scott.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/release/en/catalog.shtml
(I have not used this repo before).
These repos are mentioned on the wiki here:
https://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Packaging
For my install, you can browse the full list of Joyent's pkgsrc latest
packages here:
https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/SmartOS/2016Q1/x86_64/
I haven't installed PHP PEAR, but packages are there.
And yes, django and pip3 are available, I use both in my zones.
pkgsrc installs to /opt/local and has not yet caused any issues with
my base OmniOS install.
regards,
Guo-Rong