[OmniOS-discuss] Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit not working since upgrade to r151020

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Tue Nov 29 16:02:36 UTC 2016

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:37:19 -0500
Dan McDonald <danmcd at omniti.com> wrote:

> You can still use your cisco one with the unsupported_sfp check off.  If it's been working for you, why not?
>
> OTOH, I hear (I don't use much SFP) that they can be tricky to debug when problems DO occur.  I hope others with more SFP experience can speak up.  You may also wish to consult the illumos developer's list to ask this as well.

At work for our Cisco switches we also use noname SFP+'s since one
Cisco cost as much as three nonames. On the other hand to be able to
request support we have a number of Cisco SFP+'s to replace in the
switch we want support for - otherwise the default reply from Cisco is
to use Cisco SFP+'s;-)

A general observation is that there is no significant difference in
performance or lifetime.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen