[OmniOS-discuss] Host is not being rebooted if it uses ZFS over iSCSI

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Nov 30 15:05:22 UTC 2016

> Does anybody uses ZFS over iSCSI?
>
> There is problem with reboots as iscsi-initiator service does not
> taking care of ZFS while shutting down. It leads to zpool goes into
> UNAVAIL state and then first sync() issued gets blocked with following
> stack:

 We have a significant ZFS-over-iSCSI fileserver environment and
haven't seen this, but we may be shutting our systems down in a
different way than you are.

 We're on OmniOS r151014 and we haven't seen this behavior when we
reboot or shut down our systems via 'reboot' or 'poweroff'. For us it
seems to go the other way around; running 'reboot' won't completely shut
down the iSCSI initiator before the machine reboots, apparently because
it's being held busy by our active ZFS pools.

 It may be relevant that we're using OmniOS multipathing across two
IPs for each target (configured statically); this might change the
device stack inside the kernel.

 I don't think we've ever tried 'shutdown' itself on a live production
system, so I don't know how that would work.

	- cks