[OmniOS-discuss] KVM +NVMe + dedup

Machine Man gearboxes at outlook.com
Wed Oct 12 16:00:23 UTC 2016

I am looking to build an all NVMe system using:

SYS-1028U-TN10RT+

OS will be on a mirror pair of 400GB and there will be a data pool of 4x 800GB in striped mirror pair. (there will be one 2x small VMs on rpool)

The system will run 7 virtual machines (most will be Windows 2012R2 and one a 300GB SQL 2014 server) configured in KVM on OmniOS.

The main reason for not using 10K or 15K drives is performance and dedup. I would like to get down to the a 1U chassis for this build.

I have not been that successful with SAS 10/15K  configuration and using KVM. I have tried different block sizes and some tuning and it could just be the load of these systems.

We have a number of system running for years now, but never considered dedup largely due to fear of all the negative post, but most could also be due incorrect hardware configurations.

My main reason for posting is to perhaps get feedback if this route can be considered or to stick to 2U 24x drive chassis and use more spindles without dedup. The system will have 192GB of memory and the VMs will not even consume close to 100GB.

CPUs will be 2x 2.6Ghz 6core E5-2600 v3.

The systems are fairly critical and the reason for not using VMware or commercial products is for snapshots and to cut down on how many products we need to update (hypervisor, backup software, replication components).

Also, when using dedup, is there a higher disk of data corruption in the event of power outage?

Thanks,