[OmniOS-discuss] cifs smb 2.1 errors when using windows 10 backup tool

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 17:11:52 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Jeff Stockett <jstockett at molalla.com>
wrote:

> FWIW, you could create a backup volume and share it via iscsi to your
> wife’s PC – quite a few commands to accomplish on the omnios side but easy
> if you have nappit already.  Once you attach it, run windows backup, and it
> will immediately see it as an available backup location and initialize it
> for just that purpose if you let it.  Then you could leave your CIFS shares
> 2.1.

sure, you can offer an iscsi disk but recovering bare metal from iscsi
targets is not as easy as from a share ;-) and well, as I read in the
thread, Nexenta already has this and will upstream their work (thanks!
awesome work), so for the time being I guess I can either turn smb 1 on/off
every now and then for a backup, or just live with a slower cifs protocol.

--
Groeten,
natxo