[OmniOS-discuss] LX zones and a small Howto

Günther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Wed Oct 12 18:40:58 UTC 2016

Gratulation!

I have also tried the CentOS example and it works for me.
I have created a small howto setup LX and the VM, see
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/zones.pdf

I have not used SmartOS in the past so the concept was at first not
clear to me.
What I must say is, that this seems to be a real killer innovation for
OmniOS as you can run OmniOS as a very solid ZFS filer with additional
Linux services running directly especially with preconfigured services
as a container where you only need a copy and import/run after some
small editings of a config file like shares or nics.

What I will add to the current concept in napp-it is deploying
containers together with the config file (zone.cfg) like it is done on
ESXi where you can simply provide a folder with the VM that you can
simply import and run. An option is that one deploy LX images as a
folder imagefile with the zone config file within and the container with
the OS as a subfolder.

Gea

Am 12.10.2016 um 04:39 schrieb Dan McDonald:
> The bloody repo server has an updated LX brand package with this fix.
>
> Dan
>
> Sent from my iPhone (typos, autocorrect, and all)
>
> On Oct 11, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Richard Skelton <skeltonr at btconnect.com
> <mailto:skeltonr at btconnect.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> Dan provided an updated lx_brand file which I installed in
>> /usr/kernel/brand/amd64/lx_brand
>> After a reboot of the global zone all is now working :-)
>>
>> CentOS release 6.8 (Final)
>> Kernel 2.6.32 on an x86_64
>>
>> lx0 login:

>>> Not mismerge, but missing bugfix:
>>>
>>>      OS-5685 LTP vhangup02 fails and passes
>>>
>>> Could you do me a favor and test a replacement lx_brand binary?  Please respond unicast, and we'll report back to the list once your post-fix findings match mine.  :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dan

Guenther Alka, Dipl.-Ing. (FH)
Leiter des Rechenzentrums