[OmniOS-discuss] LX zones and a small Howto

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Oct 21 17:20:52 UTC 2016

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 11:04 AM, Guenther Alka <alka at hfg-gmuend.de> wrote:
>
> I have added a menu in napp-it to select, download and preconfigure LX images from Joyent
> beside the menu to configure/ attach/ start/ stop/ detach/ delete
>
> http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/zones.pdf
>
> Whats not yet clear to me is the way to configure lx zones with zoneadm/zonecfg according to the settings in the Joyent XML file like network ip/dhcp, router, netmask, gateway, maxram, ssh, mount zfs filesystems to name a few.

We didn't port all of SmartOS, we ported the LX zones.

For now, there are a few specific zonecfg(1M) parameters for kernel-version and network setting.  We hope to have /native/sbin/ipadm persistence before r151020 ships.  Otherwise, you treat an LX zone like you would any other, using zonecfg(1M) where appropriate.

> btw
> what about kvm branded zones from Joyent?
> the concept is very new to me....

A KVM zone instantiates a zone, but instead of running a child init(1M) process, it runs KVM directly.  It wraps a KVM process in it's own zone, whose sole purpose is to service KVM.  We don't have these in OmniOS.  Like I said, we weren't porting all of SmartOS.

> you may discuss at
> https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/omnios-now-includes-lx-support-from-joyent-smartos.11577/

I'm trying to get r151020 out the door, so I can't for the time being.