[OmniOS-discuss] tzselect for kayak installer

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Thu Apr 20 16:07:36 UTC 2017

Dan McDonald writes:

> > On Apr 20, 2017, at 11:52 AM, Jens Bauernfeind <bauernfeind at ipk-gatersleben.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I thought that adding a menu for the timezone selection might be an idea.
> > As I wrote to Dan, it uses tzselect(1M) instead of entering the $TZ
> > manually.
> >
> > It's only a little modification of the rpool-install.sh file, as seeing in
> > my pull request:
> > https://github.com/omniti-labs/kayak/pull/15
> >
> > I need your opinion if this change is worth or not.
> >
> > - more "user-friendly"
> > - a typo error is not possible, as tzselect builds the $TZ value for you
>
> I haven't pulled it in yet, but I am going to.
>
> Community --> if I'm being hasty, this is the time to go to PR #15 and
> correct me.  I think this is a generally good idea, however.  ESPECIALLY
> since, unlike the caiman TZ selector, it doesn't use any crappy hacks to the
> stock TZ database (e.g. libzoneinfo).

>From looking at the screen output, +1.

EXCEPT:  There is the crappy "Busingen" time zone entry for Germany.
Please get rid of that.  First of all, the place is spelled "Büsingen"
with an umlaut.  Then, the time zone difference was a one-off affair
(in 1980).  Please let the millions of OmniOS users amongst the 1350
inhabitants of Büsingen select either German or Swiss time zone at
their leasure.  They will end up with CET either way.

Thanks -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"