[OmniOS-discuss] The Future of OmniOS

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 20:07:16 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Robert Treat <robert at omniti.com> wrote:

> I hope the answer to the best safest place is OmniOS. To that end, we have
> no plans to stop running OmniOS at this time, and presuming the project can
> make the jump to community maintainership, we won't need to develop any.

So, assuming such a jump were to happen, what are we talking about?

(My comments here, btw, are from me as an illumos community member
and maintainer of another distro, rather than as an OmniOS customer.)

Some items:

The OmniOS name/brand
The website/wiki
The illumos-omnios fork (the code)
The github repos (the infrastructure)
The pkg repo servers

What happens to those? The real question here is whether they stay,
with community maintainership, or whether the "new" regime is an
independent fork? I would guess the latter to be the safest course.

That's assuming a world in which OmniOS-whatever remains as a separate
entity, rather than taking the view that you throw it away and replace it
with
a stable branch of some other distro. I'm not entirely convinced that would
(a) actually work, and (b) not compromise the other distro.

So that gives you a newly forked project that maintains a distro based
on the current OmniOS code (preserving the effort that the likes of
Dan have put in to get LX running), pulling in updates from illumos
and the other upstreams, with the same sort of release cadence
and update approach (so you know you're going to get security updates)
we have at the moment.

Ignoring the who and how for now, would that be what people actually want?

Or are people looking for a different future?

My personal (illumos/Tribblix) selfishness here is twofold; first, I want
to ensure we keep the current codebase as a going concern (as an
unmaintained museum it's not interesting), and secondly an active
project shows the health of the illumos ecosystem in a better light.

--
-Peter Tribble