[OmniOS-discuss] The Future of OmniOS

Robert Treat robert at omniti.com
Wed Apr 26 23:21:43 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:11 AM Linda Kateley <lkateley at kateley.com> wrote:

> Robert,
>
> After reading everything I can in the last few days.. I have a couple
> questions which I hope you can answer honestly.
>
> This announcement on the heals of a massive change in the freenas
> community make me wonder if there is any "backroom" pressure coming to
> companies supporting zfs?

Honestly I don't follow the FreeNAS community, so couldn't say much about
that other than I know there is some drama going on over there but it has
nothing to do with us at OmniTI.

The other is ... Is your hosted environment divesting from omnios? If so
> what os are you going to?

> As a consultant and supporter of all things openzfs just want to know
> where the best safest places for my customers.

I hope the answer to the best safest place is OmniOS. To that end, we have
no plans to stop running OmniOS at this time, and presuming the project can
make the jump to community maintainership, we won't need to develop any.

> And one short comment.. I have have been watching following you guys for
> awhile now, and I never knew your hope or wish was for the community to
> pick up omnios.

This surprises me. I am sure they would have if they had
> known.

> Thanks for everything you have done for this community

Yes, this is clearly our fault, and more specifically mine. We would have
conversations internally about certain projects or initiatives that we
should do to open things up, but between competing company priorities and
the old habits many involved have of living in a Sun/Solaris i.e.
Vendor/Customer style relationship, we just never made much headway.

I'm sure many would say to give it more time or try harder, but if we are
being honest, short of someone showing up with a ginormous check, our
priorities aren't going to change.

In any case, now people know, so let's see what happens :-)

Robert Treat
https://omniti.com