[OmniOS-discuss] Bug ?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Jul 3 14:41:31 UTC 2017

On July 1, 2017 1:02:30 AM GMT+02:00, "Aurélien Larcher" <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:
>I guess one should remind the little elves of the magical forest that
>they need to take over the maintenance, they were quite busy with
>Midsummer apparently.
>
>Otherwise, basically Guenther's advice is the way to go:
>- for illumos specific issues: https://www.illumos.org/issues,
>- for software package bugs we could look at it in OpenIndiana and
>someone could backport the fix to OmniOS afterwards (when
>infrastructure is fixed).
>
>I hoped that we could have a virtuous relationship with OpenIndiana
>Hipster acting as a "bloody" and OmniOS continuing as a stable subset,
>similarly to the current scheme (also benefiting from the current
>Hipster CI setup to avoid losing momentum).
>There is apparently no interest following the discussion which was
>initiated right after the announcement, this is a bit disappointing.
>
>I hope that people will join forces to consolidate the landscape of
>community-supported illumos distros.
>At some point one needs to stop talking theory and tragedy, there are
>pragmatic solutions to implement: there are infrastructures in place
>in both OI and OmniOS-land, there are overall directions and goals in
>both (rolling dev vs stable), there is a solid release engineering
>practice in OmniOS, it does not seem like we swim in complete
>abstraction.
>Contributing software packages can be easy, the difficulty seems to
>get people to figure out that maintaining even one package is a
>meaningful contribution.
>
>(I maintain a bunch of packages for OpenIndiana and I do not work in
>IT)
>
>Kind regards,
>
>À Jeudi 29 juin 2017, Davide Poletto a écrit :
>> The more I think *how fast* that's (supposedly) happening the more I
>feel
>> shocked.
>>
>> On Jun 29, 2017 10:33 PM, "Floris van Essen ..:: House of Ancients
>Amstafs
>> ::.." <info at houseofancients.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> With pain in my heart, i fear OmniOs has started it's slow descent to
>death
>> :-(

Among technological differences between OI and OO, a notable benefit is LX zones. It was often stated that OI community has not enough resources to deviate from upstream illumos-gate, since maintaining a fork beyond a branding patch or so is indeed complicated.

I got wondering if it is possible to take omnios-gate and build just the LX-related bits for the sake of adding the LX brand support as a few packages installable to "vanilla" illumos-gate os/net? In the binary end, it does add just some modules, tools and scripts, right? At least, if this works, it might help until LX is upstreamed...

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android