[OmniOS-discuss] Questions about - End the uncertainty -

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Fri Jul 7 06:04:45 UTC 2017

Hi Aurélien,

----- On Jul 7, 2017, at 7:55 AM, Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Tobias Oetiker < [ mailto:tobi at oetiker.ch |
> tobi at oetiker.ch ] > wrote:

>> Hi Aurélien

>> the motivation behind OmniOSce is that we have come to love the the stability
>> and
>> tight focus of OmniOS. Many of us are running large servers that form critical
>> pieces of our infrastructure. Loosing OmniOS was simply not an option for us.
>> Since OmniTI gave up on this we were forced start doing the work on our own.

> Your answer makes me think I was not clear enough or that we are discussing two
> different things ...
> My point was about collaboration not about losing what you like.

nothing against collaboration, on the contrary ... when looking at omnios now (with the focus of it being a server os)
what do you see that is missing which oi folks could contribute, or which we could
pull from oi ?

>> we are happy for anyone to join us in our effort, for example also in providing
>> a more end user focussed repo that goes along with omnios, providing a desktop
>> environment for those who want to use the os in that capacity.

> If we want another general-purpose distro with 2 maintainers and 10 users that's
> certainly the way to go ;)

we are not general purpose in that sense.

cheers
tobi

>> [ http://www.omniosce.org/ | www.omniosce.org ]
>> [ http://gitter.im/omniosorg/Lobby | gitter.im/omniosorg/Lobby ]

>> Tobias Oetiker

>>> It is good news, but I would engage you to discuss about reducing the
>>> fragmentation in the illumos community.
>>> We have a few distros maintained by 1-3 guys without any or much momentum and
>>> much duplication of efforts (Debian has 1000+ devs working together and we are
>>> barely able to have more than 10).

>>> We should join our efforts like, as I suggested, basing on common tools and
>>> userland.
>>> I do not see how wasting energy in duplicate efforts will help us keep/gain
>>> momentum.
>>> I mentioned earlier the possibility of a virtuous circle with OI as the rolling
>>> testing and OmniOS the stable: to be honest I see very little sense in
>>> maintaining two "testing" with such a small manpower. In the long term this
>>> does not seem sustainable.

>>> At least some degree of collaboration should be maintained on documentation,
>>> pkg(5) and updates of Python/Perl/GCC with the same source repository.

>>> Of course this is not "right now", as you need to maintain continuity, but we
>>> should plan the next 6 month cycle to decide on common requirements and make it
>>> happen.
>>> I saw Peter has built illumos-omnios on Tribblix, I think we should do the same
>>> on OpenIndiana: the issue is not about doing it once (I did it last year) but
>>> having a person commited to maintain it.

>>> Convergence is necessary, at least to some extent, discussion is open. :)

>>> Kind regards

>>> Aurélien

www.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902