[OmniOS-discuss] Questions about - End the uncertainty -

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 05:55:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:

> Hi Aurélien
>
> the motivation behind OmniOSce is that we have come to love the the
> stability and
> tight focus of OmniOS. Many of us are running large servers that form
> critical pieces of our infrastructure. Loosing OmniOS was simply not an
> option for us. Since OmniTI gave up on this we were forced start doing the
> work on our own.

Your answer makes me think I was not clear enough or that we are discussing
two different things ...
My point was about collaboration not about losing what you like.

> for now our focus is in building on Dan's excellent work, both in updating
> r022 as well as pulling in new stuff from both upstream illumos and joyents
> lx work.

Which is understandable ;)
On the other hand I raised a few questions about collaboration and
perspectives which I thought could be worth discussing beyond the current
state of affairs.

> we are happy for anyone to join us in our effort, for example also in
> providing a more end user focussed repo that goes along with omnios,
> providing a desktop environment for those who want to use the os in that
> capacity.

 If we want another general-purpose distro with 2 maintainers and 10 users
that's certainly the way to go ;)

--
---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings