[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS CE question: will there be a LTS stable release?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Jul 26 20:18:56 UTC 2017

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, Peter Tribble wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <
> bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
>> This would be a great way for a commercial outfit which offers paid
>> support contracts to get involved.  LTS releases are quite a lot of
>> commitment and work but a commercial support company might be able to
>> commit to doing this work.
>
> I think we've already concluded that doing this isn't a viable commercial
> proposition.

I think that being a viable commercial proposition depends on the cost
structure and customer expectations.  OmniTI has a high cost model
with presumably highly-compensated individuals living in presumably
high cost of living areas.

A small company in Slovakia could likely accomplish what a company in
the San Francisco bay area could not.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn