[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS CE question: will there be a LTS stable release?

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Wed Jul 26 20:37:13 UTC 2017

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 20:27:28 +0100
Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:

> Which does open the question: how many people need LTS? (And what
> does LTS mean for them - in terms of how long support would be needed,
> and what level of support/backports they expect.) Perhaps Chris could
> chip in here, but I know that with my $DAYJOB hat on the idea of
> dropping security updates for release X as soon as release Y comes out
> is a bit of a non-starter.

The reason I highly favor LTS releases are as follows:
1) Omnios(ce) is used as storage server for a virtualized environment.
2) Omnios(ce) does not have a cluster solution within reach of my
pocket book.
3) Every kernel upgrade means every VM except for infrastructure VM's
which run on other hardware faces downtime which means disruption of
service.
4) Because of this I want to minimize kernel upgrades.
5) An Omnios(ce) upgrade always includes a kernel upgrade.

I guess the above reasons apply to many data center installations an
especially data center installations for virtualized environments.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
No matter how much you do you never do enough.