[OmniOS-discuss] is zil mirrored within pool

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Jun 1 15:15:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017, Artem Penner wrote:

> are *zfs intent log* data will be striped across all disk in pool without
> redundancy? If hard drive fail and this cause kernel panic, can I lose my
> data?

You will not lose data if sufficient hard drives are working properly.
That is the purpose of zfs and its intent log as well.

Normally hard drive failures do not cause kernel panics if sufficient
redundancy remains.

If the kernel panics for some other reason (e.g. RAM failure or a
software bug), it is possible for zfs corruption or data loss to occur
since zfs is based on software and zfs stores quite a lot of data in
cache.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn