[OmniOS-discuss] panic: bd_strategy after new loader installed

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Jun 1 20:01:49 UTC 2017

Yikes 8-/, I'm glad I hadn't got around to updating; my data pool consists
of 13 WD Red 3TB drives which are 4K native. I'm surprised this deficiency
wasn't noticed during development or testing, aren't 4K native drives fairly
common nowadays? I deployed my pool back in 2009.

Hmm, fortunately, it looks like you can stick with grub:

https://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/BSDLoader

So until the bug you referenced is fixed upstream and back ported to r151022
(if it ever is, given the current instability of maintenance <sigh>), people
with 4K drives will need to be sure to *not* migrate to loader.

Perhaps somebody with privs to update the wiki would be kind enough to put a
large bold warning on the release notes to make sure no one else gets
themselves in the position of a non-bootable system? Hmm, wait, I think I
have wiki edit privs... Yup, warning added.