[OmniOS-discuss] new supermicro server

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Mar 8 14:36:21 UTC 2017

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Geoff Nordli wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am looking at ordering a new 3U supermicro server. as an all-in one.   I
> have been using these recently:
>
> https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/3U/6038/SSG-6038R-E1CR16L.cfm
>
> It has the LSI 3008 HBA in IT mode.

I have one of these.  It runs OmniOS very well.  Mine has four Intel
SATA SSDs, two for boot, and two for SLOG.  Two of the SSDs are fixed
internal and two are accessible via optional rear slots.

However, I am encountering BIOS issues with booting.  The drives
advertized by the HBA overwelm the BIOS so that it does not list
internal SATA drives for booting and currently my system only boots
from internal SATA drives if the Intel network boot agent runs.  The
BIOS behavior is unstable.

This problem did not appear to exist when the system was delivered to
me but appeared as soon as I tried to statically configure the BMC IP
address.

Perhaps there is a way to tell the HBA BIOS to not advertize the SAS
drives which are not needed for booting?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn