[OmniOS-discuss] new supermicro server

Kevin.Swab at colostate.edu Kevin.Swab at colostate.edu
Wed Mar 8 16:20:41 UTC 2017

We haven't used this particular system, but we had the same problem with
SuperMicro Gen 9 motherboards.  The solution for us on those systems was
to disable BIOS loading for the particular PCI slot the SAS HBA was
installed in.  This was a system BIOS setting, rather than an HBA BIOS
setting.

It looks like this MB may have an onboard SAS controller.  If you're
using that, there may be a similar option somewhere in the system BIOS.

We opened a support case on this issue with SuperMicro via our vendor,
they concluded that there was an address space limitation with the BIOS
boot process, and suggested that an HBA capable of UEFI boot might
resolve the problem.  Unfortunately, our LSI2308 HBAs were not UEFI
capable, so we were unable to test that theory.  If you're currently
using BIOS boot mode, it might be worthwhile to try switching to UEFI
boot mode to see if that helps.

Kevin