[OmniOS-discuss] New media with new fixes!

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Mon Mar 13 22:24:23 UTC 2017

Dan McDonald writes:

> > On Mar 13, 2017, at 4:52 PM, Volker A. Brandt <vab at bb-c.de> wrote:
> >

> > One thing that surprised me was that it would boot after hitting the
> > enter key in the "5 Boot options" menu.  That's very convenient, but
> > maybe a "hit return to boot straight away" info text could be added.
>
> Wait... you mean option 5?  That is literally the same behavior as the old
> Caiman installer.  The only difference is that in the new Kayak-for-ISO, you
> don't reboot IMMEDIATELY after an installation, you can go back.  I did it
> this way on purpose, figuring people might want to manipulate their BE after
> installation.

Sorry, this was probably me not being clear enough again...

On the new loader screen before booting, there is a box of menu
options.  1-4 are Boot Multi, Boot Single, Escape to loader, Reboot.

Option 5 is labelled "Configure Boot Options...".  Selecting it brings
me into a submenu.  It looks like I will have to go back to the "Main
Menu" to boot, but I really only need to press enter to boot.  I found
this only by hitting enter accidentally. :-)

In that same submenu, the console type and verbose boot are selectable.
However, the speed for a serial console isn't.  That's not too much of
a problem, but it would be nice.  I haven't managed to set up the
installed system with a proper BIOS-redirected console -- in GRUB, I
would use -v -B console=ttya,ttya-mode="115200,8,n,1,-" on the kernel
line in the menu.  So I guess I need to start looking for the doc that
goes with the loader...

But all that doesn't have that much to do with kayak-for-iso, it's more
a question of configuring the new loader.  The installation itself went
absolutely fine.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"