[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS R151014 hardware support

Dan McDonald danmcd at kebe.com
Thu Nov 2 13:13:04 UTC 2017

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 5:56 AM, Lawrence Giam <paladinemishakal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I know that OmniOS R151014 is old but I still have to use it. I am looking at running OmniOS on top of ESXi 5.5 or 6.

I have to ask, why do you have to use '014?  What specific thing is tying you to it?  I can't think of anything rational that isn't old hardware.

> I would like to know if illumos support the new Intel Xeon Scalable and also Intel C620 chipset?

I believe '014 supports the C620 chipset (620 is an older one, Sandy Bridge era, IIRC).

> I am stuck at choosing either a Dell PowerEdge R530 or PowerEdge R740.

R530 should be fine with '014 (modulo some possible edge-cases).  Not sure about the R740 with 014, though.

Seriously, if you're getting new HW, what's to stop you from upgrading OmniOS?