[OmniOS-discuss] Just enough X?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Nov 4 20:04:47 UTC 2017

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017, Dan McDonald wrote:

> I apologize in advance for asking the community this in lieu of figuring it out myself.
>
> I wish to run "Just enough X" on OmniOS to run twm and xterm.
> Basically, I'd like console windows for all of my zones readily
> available.  I used to do this when I ran OI on my home server, and
> occasionally I miss that functionality.  Please PLEASE do not turn
> this into a thread about window managers and, "WTF do you want to
> use twm, Dan?"  Any reasonable window manager can be swapped in for
> TWM, but I know TWM is simple and lightweight.
>
> I'm thinking it's either pkgsrc, or an alternate IPS publisher
> exists.  Either works, but I'd like to hear from folks who've
> actually done it, if any exist.

I have X11 (without twm installed) from pkgsrc which is enough to run
and compile X11 programs.  It is not clear to me if you want the
server-side of X11, or want to use XDM, or if X11-client only is ok.

These seem to be the applicable packages according to pkgin:

GraphicsMagick-1.3.25 X application for displaying and manipulating images
bigreqsproto-1.1.2   BigReqs extension headers from modular Xorg X11
libICE-1.0.9         Inter Client Exchange (ICE) library for X
libSM-1.2.2          X Session Management Library
libX11-1.6.4         Base X libraries from modular Xorg X11
libXau-1.0.8         Authorization Protocol for X from X.org
libXaw-1.0.13        X Athena Widgets Library from modular Xorg X11
libXdamage-1.1.4     Xdamage extension (Library)
libXdmcp-1.1.2       X Display Manager Control Protocol library from X.org
libXext-1.3.3        X Extension library
libXfixes-5.0.3      Xfixes library and extension of X RandR from modular X.org
libXft-2.3.2         Library for configuring and customizing font access
libXi-1.7.8          X Input extension library
libXmu-1.1.2         X Miscellaneous Utilities library
libXpm-3.5.12        X PixMap Library from modular Xorg X11
libXrender-0.9.10    X Render Library
libXt-1.1.5          X Toolkit Intrinsics library
libXxf86vm-1.1.4     Library for the XFree86-VidMode X extension
libpciaccess-0.13.4nb1 PCI access utility library from X.org
libxcb-1.12          X protocol C-language Binding
motif-2.3.4nb7       LGPLed Motif toolkit for the X Window System
videoproto-2.3.3     Video extension headers from modular X.org X11
xauth-1.0.9          X authentication utility
xextproto-7.3.0      XExt extension headers from X.org
xproto-7.0.31        X protocol and ancillary headers from Xorg X11
xterm-327            Latest terminal emulator for the X Window System

I have seen screen shots of graphical native desktops running on
"OmniOS" so some people have taken it that far.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn