[OmniOS-discuss] Marvell 88SE9128 AHCI/SATA3 driver support added

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Wed Jul 3 16:05:31 UTC 2013

On 03.07.2013 15:14, Eric Sproul wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Robin Smidsrød <robin at smidsrod.no> wrote:
>> I guess that at least means I can re-enable that controller once I
>> upgrade to r151008 in some months. I might try to use it for some
>> testing before I dare put anything critical on it (even though it's just
>> a home setup).
>
> Following Robin's initial email yesterday, there was a discussion on
> #omnios about the release strategy (which also triggered my creating
> the Release Cycle wiki page), and since r151006 is an LTS release, the
> changesets affecting the new AHCI code will eventually find their way
> into r151006.

That is good to know! I'm not sure if I'll stay on LTS or stable,
though. I guess I'll have to make up my mind later.

> They were merged into illumos-omnios yesterday.  It
> would be great if those, like Alex, willing to try their hardware
> under bloody, could kick the tires a bit more.

The mainboard I have with the 88SE9128 is this one: Gigabyte
GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#ov

It's a cheapo board that supports a decent amount of memory and the
i-series Intel CPUs with 10 onboard SATA ports. Except for the need to
disable the Marvell SATA3 controller in the BIOS, I've been running this
hardware stable on Nexenta NCP (and now OmniOS r151006) for a few years.

When Firefly (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fireflyfailsafe/) comes
out with these patches integrated I guess I could take it out for a spin
and see what happens. It is an easier testing ground for a piece of
hardware that is "in production" most of the time.

I've posted a ticket in their bug tracker to get them included, which
should ease testing to some extent.
https://sourceforge.net/p/fireflyfailsafe/tickets/1/

-- Robin