[OmniOS-discuss] changing rpool zfs properties prior to install

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Mar 25 15:41:07 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:
> Is there anyway to use the break out to the shell option in the installer to
> go create the rpool manually, and then have the installer use it rather than
> create its own? Or any other method by which you could customize zfs
> properties on your rpool prior to the OS actually being installed?

Paul,
A network install using Kayak is the best way to get what you want.
The ISO installer is the most barely-functional version we could
tolerate shipping, because we see network installs being the preferred
method of getting bits on disk.

Kayak sets compression=on by default for rpool, and can set up a
mirror for you, given a suitable list of devices in the client config:
http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Installation#Fromthenetwork

Eric