[OmniOS-discuss] changing rpool zfs properties prior to install

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Mar 25 16:58:02 EDT 2013

On 3/25/2013 12:41 PM, Eric Sproul wrote:

> A network install using Kayak is the best way to get what you want.
> The ISO installer is the most barely-functional version we could
> tolerate shipping, because we see network installs being the preferred
> method of getting bits on disk.
>
> Kayak sets compression=on by default for rpool, and can set up a
> mirror for you, given a suitable list of devices in the client config:
> http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Installation#Fromthenetwork

I'm all over network installs for even medium-sized deployments :), but
for the single box I'm building at the moment at home it's perhaps a
touch more overhead than one would like ;). I see there's a page on the
wiki talking about feeding the kayak client from a non-omnios server,
maybe I'll take a shot at using some of my existing infrastructure at
home to get that going. You don't happen to have a bloody equivalent to
http://omnios.omniti.com/media/r151004.zfs.bz2 posted somewhere?

The other (slightly (meh,  considerably) more kludgy, but perhaps less
effort required for a one off) option might be to pop into the shell
after booting the ISO before starting the install and fiddling something
(replace the zfs binary with a script that the detects rpool creation
and tweaks it, start a script in the background looking for the rpool to
show up and tweaking it when it does, …).

Thanks much for the info.