[OmniOS-discuss] sudden loss of networking

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Tue Dec 23 02:27:00 UTC 2014

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 9:04 PM, Michael Mounteney <gate03 at landcroft.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Just now, r151012 lost networking.  I was able to get in via a serial
> console (very relieved I took the trouble to set that up) but otherwise
> the machine wasn't even pingable.  Thanks to the wonders of NFS, a
> reboot preserved everything --- I wasn't running any VMs at the time.
>
> svcs -a showed that network/physical:default was online.  I didn't
> really know what else to do.  Any suggestions for next time ?  assuming
> I can get in on the serial console.

Lots of possibilities when you "lose networking".  Lots of information helps tell what happened.

Output of these commands:
	- ifconfig -a
	- dladm show-link
	- dladm show-phys
	- dladm show-ether
	- netstat -rnv

Also, make sure you didn't lose routing, as opposed to losing the link.  See if a node on the same subnet can ping it (you said it wasn't pingable, but where did you ping from?).

Someone recently here mentioned having two default routes installed because in.routed got fed bad information, for example.