[OmniOS-discuss] E5-2600 v3 Haswell

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Wed Sep 10 14:02:55 UTC 2014

On Sep 10, 2014, at 8:50 AM, Schweiss, Chip <chip at innovates.com> wrote:

> I see systems based on Xeon Haswells are shipping now.
>
> Has anyone tried OmniOS on any of these yet?

Not to my knowledge.

> What are my chances everything working as expected with OmniOS on these systems if I would order one today?

1.) I'd stick with a GigE mobo instead of a 40GigE one.  The i40e driver isn't ported to illumos yet, and I'm not sure if this time we'll get Intel's help.  Having said that, there is community interest, but no known driver bits are available.

2.) USB3 isn't supported on illumos yet as well.  I don't know if these mobos can have their USB set to USB2 only or not, or whether or not even USB3 is a problem.

3.) Eric covered the SATA ports and the NVMe things.