[OmniOS-discuss] core dump while trying to import pool

Michael Talbott mtalbott at lji.org
Sun Dec 6 06:49:59 UTC 2015

I did not run a zdb check since this pool was over 200TB and figured it'd take weeks to finish. Maybe more, maybe not? I just planned for worst case scenarios before the reboot and am sure glad I did.

The pool was scrubbed several times between the time the l2arc devices were removed and the reboot all reported no errors. The problem surfaces (at least in my case) when a particular volume tries to mount as rw. After lots of googling I found a few other reports with the same backtrace that say they were able to work around a similar issue by mounting the volumes as readonly first and then after they were mounted to update the mount to rw. I didn't try that, but, maybe that would have worked? If so it sounded like that'd only have been a temporary fix until next reboot...

At any rate, a clean scrub alone is not an indicator of pool health regarding this bug. No clue if a zdb analyses would be a more determining factor.  My personal advise is plan for the worst and hope for the best with backups on hand. Better to plan for it than to let a fluke bug or power incident reveal it unexpectedly.

Since I didn't zdb it first.. Maybe your nerves can be at more ease? Good luck and let me know how things turn out.

Michael
Sent from my iPhone