[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS r151016 zone has difficulties shutting down

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Dec 7 12:49:47 UTC 2015

> On Dec 6, 2015, at 7:19 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
>
> On a freshly installed zone with no additional packages installed (but with one lofs mount to a filesystem), I am seeing a glitch with 'zoneadm -z name shutdown', 'zoneadm -z name reboot' or 'reboot' within the zone.  This message appears on the console and in the /var/adm/messages file of the global zone:
>
> Dec  6 17:17:22 scrappy zoneadmd[17388]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] [zone 'pkgbuild'] failed to open console master: Device busy
> Dec  6 17:17:22 scrappy zoneadmd[17388]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] [zone 'pkgbuild'] WARNING: could not open master side of zone console for pkgbuild to release slave handle: Device busy
> Dec  6 17:17:22 scrappy zoneadmd[17388]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] [zone 'pkgbuild'] WARNING: console /devices//pseudo/zconsnex at 1/zcons at 1 found, but it could not be removed.: I/O error
>
> and the shutdown hangs.

I just tried a couple of shutdown/boot loops on a 016 zone of mine.  I did not see the hang, but these errors were in my global:

Dec  7 07:34:45 neuromancer zoneadmd[29496]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] [zone 'minecraft'] WARNING: console /devices//pseudo/zconsnex at 1/zcons at 1 found, but it could not be removed.: I/O error

So I'm guessing the failed-to-open-console-master and "could not open master side of zone console" is what was causing your failure.

The other message (found, but it could not be removed), I only see when there is no "zlogin -C" process attached to my zone's console.

> Have others encountered this issue?  What can be done to fix it?

This message is printed by zoneadmd.  If you or anyone else encounters this hang again, please do the following:

1.) While zoneadm is hung, check the console for the above message, you'll see a pid for zoneadmd (Bob's example was 17388).

2.) See if you can get the stack(s) of zoneadmd that reported the console master error:    pstack <PID>

3.) Grab a corefile of the zoneadmd:  gcore <PID>

4.) Share the corefile somehow.

The pstack and core of the running/hung zoneadm(1M) command would also be useful, I think.

Thanks,