[OmniOS-discuss] UPCOMING: End of Support Life approaching for OmniOS r151010

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Feb 20 20:17:16 UTC 2015

> On Feb 20, 2015, at 2:58 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> I do not have a spare machine to test this, but if the dramatic
> network io performance regression for kvm present in r151012 has
> not been fixed in r151014 then we will be stranded on r151010.

And the upstreaming of VND is likely not to happen with this release.  That blocks us from properly catching up with illumos-kvm-cmd.

There are several commits (Starting with the March 19th one we can't bring in w/o VND) here:

	https://github.com/joyent/illumos-kvm-cmd/commits/master

Currently, we only backport the most recent fix about QEMU using preadv/pwritev recklessly.  IF (big if) there are other commits we can backport, you could try it using the patches/ directory of omnios-build.  I'm thinking maybe HVM-807's may help you (provided that's indepdent of VND support).

Have you seen anything with dtrace or lockstat that could give a clue to what's holding things up?  I don't recall seeing anything observed.

> Judging from the echo on the ML, not many people seem to see this
> problem, or care about it.

I'm sorry, but that does appear to be the case.

Next week I disappear for other-customer work, but starting in March, I'm doing nothing but r151014.