[OmniOS-discuss] iSCSI target hang, no way to restart but server reboot

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Fri Mar 27 15:04:57 UTC 2015

> On Mar 27, 2015, at 11:03 AM, Matej Zerovnik <matej at zunaj.si> wrote:
>
> Only rpool is on megaraid, the storage is on LSI Logic SAS2308 HBA, which I think is using mpt_sas driver. What change do you plan on putting it? Does it concern mpt_sas driver?

There are some mpt_sas improvements, but no amount of driver improvements can fix the failure modes caused by SATA drives in SAS expanders.  You Just Can't Fix That.

>>> I wouldn't like to do a major upgrade, since this is a production machine. Too scary:)
>> You should plan for it, however.  SATA drives on SAS expanders is a recipe for disaster, as you're seeing.
> Is there a better support for SATA drives in newer omnios?

Not when you're using them in situations that are operationally dangerous.

Were you a paying customer, we would tell you we don't support SATA drives in SAS expanders.

Sorry,