[OmniOS-discuss] iSCSI target hang, no way to restart but server reboot

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 15:13:42 UTC 2015

Having been on the receiving end of similar advice, it is a frustrating
situation to be in, since you have (and will likely continue to have) the
hardware in production, without much option for replacement.

When we had systems like this, we had a lot of success being aggressive in
swapping out disks that were showing signs of going bad, even before
critical failures occurred. Also looking at SMART statistics, and
aggressively replacing those as well. This made the situation manageable.
Basically, having sata drives in sas expanders means the system is brittle,
and you should treat it as such. Look for:
 - errors in iostat -En
 - high service times in iostat -xnz
 - smartctl (this causes harmless sense messages when devices are probed,
but it is easy enough to ignore these)
 - any errors reported out of lsiutil, showing either problems with
cabling/enclosures, or devices
 - decode any sense errors reported by the lsi driver

Aggressively replace devices implicated by these, and hope for the best.
The best may or may not be what you're hoping for, but may be livable; it
was for us.
good luck
 -nld