[OmniOS-discuss] Updating r151006 to r151014

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed May 20 05:32:12 UTC 2015

20 мая 2015 г. 6:54:02 CEST, Tim Rice <tim at multitalents.net> пишет:
>On Tue, 19 May 2015, Dan McDonald wrote:
>

>| > On May 19, 2015, at 7:02 PM, Tim Rice <tim at multitalents.net> wrote:
>| >

>| > Since one of the VMs is the storage server on my all-in-one box it
>| > had smartmontools loaded. I had to remove smartmontools for the
>| > update to work and there is no smartmontools for r151014. :-(
>|
>| Which publisher provides smartmontools?  If its ms.omniti.com, it'll
>be
>| up to our internal staff to update that package.  Remember that
>| ms.omniti.com is not supported, it is a convenience offering of the
>| tools our ops people use internally.
>
>Yes it was ms.omniti.com. I fully understand that they are not
>supported.
>Thanks for providing it for 006. While I would have liked to have had
>it available for 014 and save me some time, I can roll my own.
>
>Thank You to all the people at omniti for all that they do provide.
>

>| Dan

You can also give a shot to pkgsrc, it is fairly easy to bootstrap and install, though they are usually updated only quarterly and an upgrade seems to require changing the repo used by your system. This is tricky to script for hands-off management. And for the past 2 upgrades (though disruptive with new packaging features) I was better off removing it all, bootstrapping and reinstalling what I remembered as needed (e.g. top or vnc+twm to occasionally head my virtualboxes) to get out of incompatible package version conflicts that I managed to get otherwise.

HTH,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android