[OmniOS-discuss] upgrading pkgsrc

Nahum Shalman nshalman at omniti.com
Tue Nov 1 17:36:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:32 AM, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:

> I am running   OmniOS v11 r151016

You didn't mention which quarterly release of pkgsrc you were on.

I tried to upgrade pkgsrc using the steps outlined here:

> https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/

Note that those say:
"Upgrades aren't fully supported (we don't yet handle major configuration
changes) but this procedure may work fine for many users and avoid having
to re-bootstrap. If in doubt ensure you have backed up your data and
configuration files. Make sure you use the same set that was originally
installed."

Upgrades from release to release on pkgsrc have always been tricky. The
general advice from Joyent when it comes to e.g. running joyent-brand
pkgsrc zones under SmartOS has been "reprovision". That means make a note
of which software you use, perhaps with config management, and start each
time from scratch, that said, not all hope is lost.

when I tried to upgrade pkgin it gives me this error:

> root at pc-oi1:~# /opt/local/sbin/pkg_add -U pkgin
> SSL support disabled
> pkg_add: Can't process https://pkgsrc.joyent.com:443/
> packages/SmartOS/2016Q3/x86_64/All/pkgin*: Not owner
> pkg_add: no pkg found for 'pkgin', sorry.
> pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
>

> If I try to do a pkgin update:
>
> root at pc-oi1:~# /opt/local/bin/pkgin update
> reading local summary...
> processing local summary...
> SSL support disabled
> SSL support disabled
> SSL support disabled
> pkgin: Could not fetch https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/pack
> ages/SmartOS/2016Q3/x86_64/All/pkg_summary.gz
>

> If I use wget, i can download the gz file OK, so definitely the networking
> is working fine.
>
> Any thoughts?

If you read through https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/changes/ for 2016Q3 you will
notice that:
"The pkg_install tools now support HTTPS, and both pkgin and pkg_add now
fetch packages over HTTPS by default."

That's a new feature for 2016Q3. Whatever quarterly release you're
currently on doesn't support HTTPS yet.

You may be able to use a "http://" URL (rather than "https://") to perform
the initial upgrade procedure you linked originally. After pkgin and the
pkg_install tools have been upgraded you should be able to switch back to
"https://".

All the same caveats about the upgrade process still apply.

If you're upgrading a Postgres server I hope you've dumped the database in
advance of attempting such an upgrade.

-Nahum