[OmniOS-discuss] upgrading pkgsrc

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Wed Nov 2 02:56:15 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-01 10:36 AM, Nahum Shalman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:32 AM, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net
> <mailto:geoffn at gnaa.net>> wrote:
>
>     I am running   OmniOS v11 r151016
>

> You didn't mention which quarterly release of pkgsrc you were on.
>
>     I tried to upgrade pkgsrc using the steps outlined here:
>
>     https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/
>     <https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/>
>

> Note that those say:
> "Upgrades aren't fully supported (we don't yet handle major
> configuration changes) but this procedure may work fine for many users
> and avoid having to re-bootstrap. If in doubt ensure you have backed
> up your data and configuration files. Make sure you use the same set
> that was originally installed."
>
> Upgrades from release to release on pkgsrc have always been tricky.
> The general advice from Joyent when it comes to e.g. running
> joyent-brand pkgsrc zones under SmartOS has been "reprovision". That
> means make a note of which software you use, perhaps with config
> management, and start each time from scratch, that said, not all hope
> is lost.
>
>     when I tried to upgrade pkgin it gives me this error:
>
>     root at pc-oi1:~# /opt/local/sbin/pkg_add -U pkgin
>     SSL support disabled
>     pkg_add: Can't process
>     https://pkgsrc.joyent.com:443/packages/SmartOS/2016Q3/x86_64/All/pkgin*
>     <https://pkgsrc.joyent.com:443/packages/SmartOS/2016Q3/x86_64/All/pkgin*>:
>     Not owner
>     pkg_add: no pkg found for 'pkgin', sorry.
>     pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
>

>     If I try to do a pkgin update:
>
>     root at pc-oi1:~# /opt/local/bin/pkgin update
>     reading local summary...
>     processing local summary...
>     SSL support disabled
>     SSL support disabled
>     SSL support disabled
>     pkgin: Could not fetch
>     https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/SmartOS/2016Q3/x86_64/All/pkg_summary.gz
>     <https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/SmartOS/2016Q3/x86_64/All/pkg_summary.gz>
>

>     If I use wget, i can download the gz file OK, so definitely the
>     networking is working fine.
>
>     Any thoughts?
>

> If you read through https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/changes/ for 2016Q3 you
> will notice that:
> "The pkg_install tools now support HTTPS, and both pkgin and pkg_add
> now fetch packages over HTTPS by default."
>
> That's a new feature for 2016Q3. Whatever quarterly release you're
> currently on doesn't support HTTPS yet.
>
> You may be able to use a "http://" URL (rather than "https://") to
> perform the initial upgrade procedure you linked originally. After
> pkgin and the pkg_install tools have been upgraded you should be able
> to switch back to "https://".
>
> All the same caveats about the upgrade process still apply.
>
> If you're upgrading a Postgres server I hope you've dumped the
> database in advance of attempting such an upgrade.
>
> -Nahum

Hi Nahum.

Yes, I had backups.

There were only a few packages that needed to get upgrade and I know
that Joyents doesn't recommend to upgrade, but to re-provision.

Jonathan Perkin gave me some guidance.

In order to get back to a working state, first edit this file:

    /opt/local/etc/pkg_install.conf

and change the PKG_PATH URL to use "http://" instead of "https://".
You should then be able to follow the upgrade instructions.

But I also needed to change http in: /opt/local/etc/pkgin/repositories.conf

Have a great day!!

Geoff