[OmniOS-discuss] Can't bring up r151020

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Fri Nov 4 17:23:12 UTC 2016

I haven't been able to upgrade since the July patches.  I believe it has
something to do with

• missing MCFG table should lead to I/O PCIe config access (illumos 6859)

Which seems to be tripping up on my machine.  The symptom is that the
console displays (this is a capture before r151020 which behaves the same):

SunOS Release 5.11 Version omnios-r151818-95eaa7e 64-bit
Copyright (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = f48, size = 2
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = 100, size = 4
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = f48, size = 2
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = 100, size = 4
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = f48, size = 2
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = 100, size = 4
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = f48, size = 2
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = 100, size = 4
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = 100, size = 4
WARNING: illegal PCI request: offset = 100, size = 4

and then hangs.  The system logs are empty so it happens early in the
boot process.  If anyone has a suggestion on how to get past this, I'm
all ears.

I'm also open to picking up a new machine like the HP Gen8.  I'm using
this as a (very) small SOHO server to do email, web, and file services.
The current machine is a 1U unit which has a motherboard similar to the
SunFire v20, 4 disks: 2 mirrored 5TB(archive), 2 mirrored ~300GB drives
(rpool), and 8 GB of RAM which works well for my purpose.

The goal is to configure the new machine similarly.  I'm looking for
recommendations on what configuration I should get and any gotchas to be
concerned about.  I'm looking forward to the reduced noise and power
consumption. :)

Thanks in advance,
Gary