[OmniOS-discuss] Install onto usb stick

PÁSZTOR György pasztor at sagv5.gyakg.u-szeged.hu
Tue Nov 8 20:03:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

I barely remember, if it was a topic here, or on the openindiana-discuss
list, if there are some best practice to install
omnios/openindiana/illumos* onto a pendrive.

My current home nas is installed onto a pendrive.
But my previous pendrive died after 1 or 2 years, so I had to reinstall it
lately.
Since in the last couple of month my nas was turned off, due to other
reasons, it just came into my mind, that I should ask that here, if sy has
any good advice on that.

As I said, it's working now, I just want to prevent the next pendrive
damage.

The "practice": the base system is on the pendrive, but the most of the
services runs in zones. So when my first pendrive died, practically I just
had to import my pool from the spinning disks, and create the zone
configurations again, based on the prevoius exports.
The zones are on the spinning disks.
So, the config:
rpool: pendrive
tank: raidz from spinning disks, and I have a samsung 840 evo, what is
partitioned into 2 half, the first partition is smaller, that is the zil
for "tank", the second partition is around half of the ssd, and that is the
l2arc for "tank".

Any advice, to make it better / prevent pendrive / ssd failures?

Thanks,
Gyu