[OmniOS-discuss] New OmniOS bloody

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Wed Nov 9 20:03:32 UTC 2016

Say hello to OmniOS r151021, the next bloody cycle!

This bloody update unfreezes illumos-omnios:master from upstream (and now sidestream LX) merges.

Included with this new bloody update:

- Rich Lowe's Address-Space Layout Randomization (ASLR).  See here for details:

	https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/182179/2016/10/search/SEVBRFMgVVA/sort/time_rev/page/1/entry/1:2/20161015183813:0CAE0A88-9328-11E6-B5D5-B7004FCF1B41/

- BSD Loader integration, but NOT SUPPORTED YET.  Updates to r151021 will include an /etc/default/be file with "BE_HAS_GRUB=true" in it.  This allows us to move forward until we finalize what OmniOS + Loader will look like.

- More post-020 ZFS bugfixes from upstream.

- Some side-pulls of LX from illumos-joyent, catching us up.

If you're an existing bloody user, the existing publisher now contains r151021 bits, and a full upgrade would happen.

ISO, USB, and Kayak .zfs.bz2 images are available on the OmniOS Installation page:

	https://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/Installation

Note that this bloody cycle will likely be longer, as r151022 is an LTS release and we have a LOT of changes now merged, with more on the way!