[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS CE question: will there be a LTS stable release?

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Jul 25 20:59:58 UTC 2017

 The OmniOS CE release announcement here on the mailing list covered
the broad plans for the (non-Bloody) release schedule:

	The intention is for new stable releases to continue to come
	out every 26 weeks. Interim, "weekly" updates to stable follow a
	fixed schedule denoted by letters, one per week. Weekly releases
	are made as needed, so there may not be a release each week. [...]

My assumption is that normally, each regular stable release only
receives updates until the next regular stable release comes out; when
the next stable release comes out, you are expected to update to it and
then start tracking the interim weekly updates to the new stable.  This
raises two closely related questions:

 First, is this understanding of updates to stable releases accurate?

 Second, if it is, are there any plans for a 'LTS' stable release with
an extended period of at least security updates for that LTS release?
Is this in fact the current r151022 release, which I've seen some CE
messages describe as 'OmniOS r151022 LTS' (eg in the announcement of
r151022i)?

 Thanks in advance, and my apologies if I've overlooked a discussion
of this on the mailing list (or a mention of this on the OmniOS CE
website).

	- cks