[OmniOS-discuss] Bloody update on Repo, plus Kayak for ISO is almost beta

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Thu Mar 9 21:55:33 UTC 2017

> On Mar 9, 2017, at 4:42 PM, Volker A. Brandt <vab at bb-c.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Dan!

<SNIP!>

> - I like the "straight install to pool" option.  I have had this in my
>  Kayak net installer for a long time but never sent the pull request.

You can only install it on a PRE-CONFIGURED rpool.  The idea is you enter shell first, create your pool, exit the shell, and then use option 2.  It's for people like me who dual-purpose SSDs for rpool, slog, and leave unallocated room for load-balancing.

> - The keyboard selection did not work; I selected 18 for German but
>  still got US.  This may well be due to VBox interfering; I usually
>  don't use the console of my VMs but just ssh in.

Did that ever work on the Caiman installer?  If it does, I may need more fixes in the build_iso.sh script I have.

> - The disk selection screen had some lines with more than 80 columns,
>  causing line wrap.  So it all looked a bit ragged.  Worked fine,
>  though -- installed on a single 20GB VDI disk.

It's SUPPOSED TO be > 80 columns and ragged. It's one reason you only get 7 disks at a time on a screen.

> - After installation, I wanted to stop the VM so I could remove the
>  boot DVD from the config.  So I told VBox to "send the shutdown
>  signal".  This caused a message of "/usr/sbin/shutdown not found".
>  Maybe you want to put that binary on the miniroot. :-)

I've had to bloat the original kayak miniroot a lot already.  You could use "init 0".  I could also include the hard-linked aliases to reboot:  "poweroff" and "halt". I think that would be easier.  To that end, I think I'll include poweroff and halt.

> Will do more tests as time permits.  All in all, looking very good.

Thanks,