It’s now around two weeks until we plan to freeze OmniOS bloody as we prepare for the r151024 release in November
We have just updated our bloody IPS repository with all of the latest bits and would appreciate your help in putting them through their paces. If you have some spare cycles please grab the ISO and set up a bloody system for testing, or do a test upgrade of an r151022 system to a bloody boot-environment. The open VM tools package has been brought right up-to-date so it would also be good to get some feedback about running this version under different versions of VMware.
Downloads can be found at https://downloads.omniosce.org/media/bloody/
Thanks in advance from the OmniOSce team.
Draft release notes for r151024
** These are DRAFT release notes and subject to change **
bloody update 20170925
uname -v shows
New features since r151022
Support for SuSE linux images within lx zones, courtesy of Joyent.
Loader can now handle disks with native 4k sectors.
svcs -Zno longer emits an error message for zones which do not have SMF.
The GCC C++ compiler now supports
__cxa_atexitwhich is required for fully standards-compliant handling of static destructors.
Java is now an optional package, only required if you use the dynamic resource pools feature. After upgrade to r151024, you can remove java if desired as follows:
omnios# pkg uninstall runtime/java java/jdk service/resource-pools/poold
opensslpackage now contains both OpenSSL 1.0.2 and 1.1.0, managed by a versioned variant. This is the first step on the two year plan to upgrade to OpenSSL 1.1 before the end-of-life date for 1.0. Note that OmniOS itself does not yet build with OpenSSL 1.1. For more information and a list of affected parts of OmniOS, see the repository README file
package/pkg/zones-proxypackages have been removed from OmniOS. The first two were not previously installable without work and the latter could only be installed in a non-global zone, where it did no good without the corresponding part in the global zone.
package/pkg/zones-proxyhas been marked as obsolete so will be automatically removed from non-global zones as they are upgraded.
pkg/servercan now serve repositories for publisher names containing a hyphen.
statdcan now be run on a fixed port.
Support for AVX-512 processor extensions.
Support for Chelsio T6 Ethernet devices.
audiovia97driver has been removed.
Commands and Command Options
zpool scrub -pto pause a scrub.
ipadm -T dhcp -h <hostname>to specify a hostname that will be sent to the DHCP server in order to request an association. Existing DHCP addresses can have this added via
ipadm set-addrprop -p reqhost=<hostname> <if>.
nvmeadmutility to manage NVMe controllers and namespaces.
zfs programfacility to run lua scripts to perform batch administrative ZFS operations. See Issue 7431 for more details, man page and examples.
xargshas a new option
-P <maxprocs>to run up to maxprocs parallel child processes.
lasthas a new option
-lto show longer dates and times, including the current year.
ldnow handles arguments of the form
-Wl,-z,aslr(two commas). This is a compiler argument which should result in the linker being called with
-z aslrbut some buggy build systems pass it directly to the linker.
GCC 5 has been upgraded to 5.4.0 and moved to
/opt/gcc-5to reflect the new numbering scheme used from version 5 onwards. The mediated symlinks in /usr/bin are still the best way to invoke GCC but you may need to update your
$PATHor scripts if you have previously explicitly used
GCC version 6 is now available -
pkg install developer/gcc6- and can be found in
/opt/gcc-6. Note that GCC 6’s default standard for C++ is
-std=gnu++14. This is a change from GCC 5 which used
-std=gnu++98. Some software may assume gnu++98 and to compile it with GCC 6 you will need to specify
--std=gnu++98or update the software. More detail on the changes in GCC 6 can be found on the gcc web site.
Perl has been upgraded to 5.24.3 and the components have been renamed to remove the minor version from paths. This means that modules no longer have to be rebuilt/moved following minor perl upgrades. The version of perl shipped with OmniOS is for internal system use and should not be relied on for anything else.
All of the constraints delivered under
incorporation/jeos/omnios-userlandare now protected with
version-lockfacets. This allows each constraint to be selectively disabled. This is most useful for people developing OmniOS but can also aid temporary local package updates. Example:
omnios# pkg change-facet version-lock.web/wget=false
To revert, set the facet to
omnios# pkg change-facet version-lock.web/wget=none
omnios-build-toolspackage to easily install everything required to build OmniOS userland.
It is now possible to build OmniOS in a non-global zone (with the caveat that it is not possible to build release media in a NGZ).
calendarutility has been removed.
audiovia97driver has been removed.
- GCC version 5 will be removed in the next stable version of OmniOS, r151026.
Package changes ([+] Added, [-] Removed, [*] Changed)
- data/iso-codes 3.74 -> 3.76 [*]
- database/sqlite-3 3.18.0 -> 3.20.1 [*]
- developer/bmake 20160926 -> 20170812 [*]
- developer/build/automake 1.15 -> 1.15.1 [*]
- developer/gcc5 5.4.0 [+]
- developer/gcc5/libgmp-gcc5 6.1.2 [+]
- developer/gcc5/libmpc-gcc5 1.0.3 [+]
- developer/gcc5/libmpfr-gcc5 3.1.5 [+]
- developer/gcc6 6.4.0 [+]
- developer/gcc6/libgmp-gcc6 6.1.2 [+]
- developer/gcc6/libmpc-gcc6 1.0.3 [+]
- developer/gcc6/libmpfr-gcc6 3.1.5 [+]
- developer/java/jdk 188.8.131.52.2 -> 184.108.40.206.1 [*]
- developer/lexer/flex 2.6.0 -> 2.6.4 [*]
- developer/swig 2.0.12 -> 3.0.12 [*]
- developer/versioning/git 2.13.5 -> 2.14.1 [*]
- developer/versioning/mercurial 4.2.3 -> 4.3.2 [*]
- editor/vim 8.0.567 -> 8.0.586 [*]
- file/gnu-coreutils 8.27 -> 8.28 [*]
- library/c++/sigcpp 2.99.8 -> 2.99.9 [*]
- library/expat 2.2.2 -> 2.2.4 [*]
- library/glib2 2.34.3 -> 2.54.0 [*]
- library/idnkit 1.0 -> 2.3 [*]
- library/idnkit/header-idnkit 1.0 -> 2.3 [*]
- library/libxslt 1.1.29 -> 1.1.30 [*]
- library/ncurses 6.0.20170722 -> 6.0.20170916 [*]
- library/nghttp2 1.21.1 -> 1.26.0 [*]
- library/nspr 4.16 -> 4.17 [*]
- library/nspr/header-nspr 4.16 -> 4.17 [*]
- library/pcre 8.40 -> 8.41 [*]
- library/python-2/asn1crypto-27 0.22.0 [+]
- library/python-2/cffi-27 1.11.0 [+]
- library/python-2/cheroot-27 5.8.3 [+]
- library/python-2/cherrypy-27 3.2.2 -> 11.0.0 [*]
- library/python-2/coverage-27 4.3.4 -> 4.4.1 [*]
- library/python-2/cryptography-27 2.0.3 [+]
- library/python-2/enum-27 0.4.6 [+]
- library/python-2/idna-27 2.6 [+]
- library/python-2/ipaddress-27 1.0.18 [+]
- library/python-2/jsonschema-27 2.5.1 -> 2.6.0 [*]
- library/python-2/lxml-27 3.7.2 -> 4.0.0 [*]
- library/python-2/m2crypto-27 0.24.0 -> 0.26.2 [*]
- library/python-2/mako-27 1.0.6 -> 1.0.7 [*]
- library/python-2/numpy-27 1.12.1 -> 1.13.1 [*]
- library/python-2/portend-27 2.1.2 [+]
- library/python-2/pylint-27 1.7.1 -> 1.7.2 [*]
- library/python-2/pyopenssl-27 0.11 -> 17.3.0 [*]
- library/python-2/pytz-27 2017.2 [+]
- library/python-2/setuptools-27 0.6.11 -> 36.5.0 [*]
- library/python-2/simplejson-27 3.10.0 -> 3.11.1 [*]
- library/python-2/six-27 1.11.0 [+]
- library/python-2/tempora-27 1.9 [+]
- library/python-2/typing-27 3.6.2 [+]
- library/security/trousers 0.3.8 -> 0.3.14 [*]
- media/cdrtools 3.0 -> 3.1 [*]
- network/dns/idnconv 1.0 -> 2.3 [*]
- network/openssh 7.4.1 -> 7.5.1 [*]
- network/openssh-server 7.4.1 -> 7.5.1 [*]
- network/service/isc-dhcp 4.3.5 -> 4.3.6 [*]
- package/pkg/depot 0.5.11 [-]
- package/pkg/system-repository 0.5.11 [-]
- runtime/java 220.127.116.11.2 -> 18.104.22.168.1 [*]
- runtime/perl 5.24.1 -> 5.24.3 [*]
- runtime/perl-64 5.24.1 -> 5.24.3 [*]
- runtime/perl/manual 5.24.1 -> 5.24.3 [*]
- security/sudo 1.8.7 -> 22.214.171.124 [*]
- shell/pipe-viewer 1.6.0 -> 1.6.6 [*]
- shell/zsh 5.3.1 -> 5.4.2 [*]
- system/data/console/fonts 0.5.11 [+]
- system/library/dbus 1.11.12 -> 1.11.16 [*]
- system/library/g++-5-runtime 5.1.0 -> 5.4.0 [*]
- system/library/g++-6-runtime 6.4.0 [+]
- system/library/gcc-5-runtime 5.1.0 -> 5.4.0 [*]
- system/library/gcc-6-runtime 6.4.0 [+]
- system/library/libdbus 1.11.12 -> 1.11.16 [*]
- system/library/mozilla-nss 3.32.1 -> 3.33 [*]
- system/library/mozilla-nss/header-nss 3.32.1 -> 3.33 [*]
- system/management/ipmitool 1.8.16 -> 1.8.18 [*]
- system/pciutils 3.5.4 -> 3.5.5 [*]
- system/test/fio 2.12 -> 3.0 [*]
- system/virtualization/open-vm-tools 9.4.0 -> 10.1.10 [*]
- terminal/screen 4.5.1 -> 4.6.1 [*]
- terminal/tmux 2.3 -> 2.5 [*]
- text/gnu-diffutils 3.5 -> 3.6 [*]
- text/gnu-grep 3.0 -> 3.1 [*]
- web/curl 7.54.1 -> 7.55.1 [*]